By Luca Lacetera
He was born in Turin by Apulian parents, but shortly after the family returned to Apulia. It is this region, which he always loved, the land of his training. Its natural beauties and its many forms of art fascinate him instilling in him a keen interest especially for the white lime stone of the Itria Valley, land of master stonemasons.
He attended first a course of restore of paintings and frescoes, then a course of “master trullaro” during which he discovers the charm of the ancient and mysterious dry stone architecture. A passion for the stone led him to grapple as an autodidact with this element that, far from being a static material, in his hands is molded to give life to unique objects with unique design and amazing lightness and harmony of forms.
It is with the stone that Luke has found its dimension of being and appearing. In its realizations, Luke blends tradition and experimentation, paying tribute to the stone, celebrated for its candor and its hardness, addressing the issue of the permanence of classical forms in modernity. Fall under his creations lamps and sconces from geometric and naturalistic decorations, bowls of various shapes and chiseled, slim-line vases, square or rounded, rosettes, little tables, sculptures, bas-reliefs and everything that Luke is able to discern in those shapeless blocks of stone from which he pulls off the “rind” to bring out the soul. Each object is the result of a design that is well defined and that evolves only in his mind: life experiences, emotions and feelings are the true inspiration of his work. In an ongoing challenge with himself, Luke pushes himself to reach thicknesses difficult to achieve with a material so hard as limestone which, in his hands, it seems to become ductile.
His works are all made from blocks of stone carved, sculpted and hand-decorated with traditional instruments from him refined and adapted to its many creative needs. Its raw materials come from the quarries of the Itria Valley, where he established his laboratory, inside of a group of trulli of the XIX century from himself restored. In his continuous experimentation and growth, Luke matched to the stone the use of metals and colored resins that, in a clever play of contrasts, lights and shadows, enhance even more the beauty and charm of the stone, creating with its illuminated sculptures evocative and unique atmospheres.
He has received numerous awards, including awards for the works “L’allievo” and “Capta”, in competition for “National Natiolum Prize”, AM Art Gallery, and “National Prize Dipendenze”, GlobalArt Gallery.
- 2015 “De-Forma Oltre Il Confine del Corpo”, Plaumann Art Gallery,Milano
- 2014 “Pensandomani Apulia Design Gallery”, HOMI, Milano
- 2014 Galleria La Terra, Polignano a Mare (Bari)
- 2014 “Habitapulia”, 8-13 Aprile, Triennale di Milano
- 2013 “Premio Nazionale Natiolum”, AM Art Gallery, Giovinazzo (Bari)
- 2013 Galleria La Terra, Polignano a Mare (Bari)
- 2013 Ospite stand Confartigianato, Fiera del Levante (Bari)
- 2012 “ARTISTAR”, Galleria Noa, Milano
- 2012 Galleria La Terra, Polignano a Mare (Bari)
- 2012 “Premio Nazionale Dipendenze”, Galleria GlobalArt, Noicattaro (Bari)
- 2011 Galleria S.Stefano, Polignano a Mare (Bari)
- 2010 “Premio Nazionale Natiolum”, AM Art Gallery Giovinazzo (Bari)
- 2010 “The Big Five”, Dubai (E.A.U.)
- 2010 “MediterrArte”, Bisceglie (Bari)
- 2010 “Premio Profilo di donna”, AM Art Gallery, Giovinazzo (Bari)
- 2010 “Artigianato artistico al Castello”, Subbiano (Arezzo)
- 2009 “MediterrArte”, Bisceglie (Bari)
- 2009 “Art – 73a mostra internazionale dell’artigianato” (Patrocinio dell’Assessorato alle Attività Produttive della Provincia di Bari), Firenze
- 2009 “Artisticamente: Artigianato d’autore in terra di Bari” (Patrocinio dell’Assessorato alle attività produttive della Provincia di Bari), Expolevante, Bari
- 2009 “Artisticamente: Artigianato d’autore in terra di Bari” (Patrocinio dell’Assessorato alle attività produttive della Provincia di Bari), Sala Murat, Bari
- 2009 “Primo Festival del Progetto: CasaIdea – 35a Mostra dell’Abitare”, Roma
- 2008 Emporio Cucina, Roma
- 2008 Galleria BLUorG, Bari
- 2008 Galleria S.Stefano, Polignano a Mare (Bari)
- 2008 Fuori Salone, Milano
- 2008 “Atelier aperti: il tempo del design a Verona”, Verona
- 2007 “Riflessioni”, Galleria S.Stefano, Polignano a Mare (Bari)
- 2007 “Riflessioni”, Hotel Castellinaria, Polignano a Mare (Bari)